Saturday, June 1, 2019

June 1st Travel Day

Captains Log: Day 1
I have been looking forward to this experience since learning about it back in intro to nursing with Mrs. Gillespie (2.5 years ago).  Learning about and experiencing new cultures is something that I truly enjoy, and I am thrilled to understand this from not only a nursing aspect, but also from a social aspect.  It is hard to say what I am MOST excited about.  I am looking forward to leaning new things about the Native American culture first hand.  I look forward to meeting new people.  I am also looking forward to spending this time with my peers; learning more about them and listening to how they feel about these experiences.
Before traveling we collected donations for children’s clothing and school supplies because they are in need of so much.  I think this will be a humbling experience, to see how people live in and around Cherokee, NC.  I see myself as a natural healer, and when people are suffering I want to do everything that I can to help.  This is especially true with children, because it is so out of their control.  I plan to check myself everyday and go into each and every experience with an open, non-judgmental view.  It is not fair for me to pass judgment, that is not what I am here for.
One of my goals for this trip was to let myself be vulnerable, because when we allow ourselves to be vulnerable we learn and grow as humans. I want to use this time to be completely vulnerable and perhaps do a little soul searching.  Tomorrow is going to be a great day!

Peace, love, & happiness ✌πŸ»πŸŒΊπŸŒΌπŸ’™
-Erin

1 comment:

  1. Erin,
    I am thrilled you are able to come and glad that this left a positive impression back in N100 ! Your math is cracking me up! Does 1 regular academic year=8.3 mental health years in nursing school?
    Your perspective about being vulnerable helps one learn, is very true. So much about going out of one's comfort zone and being open to learning will enhance this.
    I'm so excited to have you on this trip! :)

    ReplyDelete

Captains Blog: Day 8 I will go back to blogging to you don’t have to here all of the “ummms” in my vlogs.  Something I might need to work ...